Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Bigger than this

The past couple of weeks have been a stumbling block for Lance and I. We have wonderful, supportive friends on Jeju Island, but I can tell you for sure there is nothing scarier than finding yourself jobless in a foreign country with no hope for job security at home. Don't get me wrong, Lance and I had enough saved to get home and pay our bills for a couple months, but then what? Joannes? Sam's Club? I can't do that again. I didn't go to the best University in Florida to do something so...empty.
So the good news. We have a job. We're signing the contract today. It starts on March 24th. We've only missed 3 weeks worth of pay and Lance and I have both picked up side work while we've been on the island. We're doing just fine. I promise.
The bad news is that the job is in the middle of nowhere Korea. The closest town is about half hour away from where we'll live. You can find it here. It's a coastal city on the western coast boarding the yellow sea. We're going to be living ON the coast. I guess that's a perk. Lance and I are preparing to be kinda lonely. Care packages will be welcome! The school is brand new and it has a branch is Seosan, so because of small class sizes we might be asked to commute into Seosan. However, it's a large chain school so we'll be paid every month and we'll have nice housing, suitable for two people this time.We've been told there will be a free shuttle into Seosan and Seoul daily, so that's also kind of nice. Also, it looks like Seosan is cow country, maybe we can get some good steaks? Maybe?
If I'm being honest, I'll tell you that this school would have not even gotten a second look three months ago when Lance and I were looking for work. However, after working the job for a year Lance and I will have saved enough money that we'll be in a better situation to come home and have the time and resources to go to grad school or look for a different job elsewhere. This is the right decision for us right now. This is how we're going to take care of each other. We're doing just fine. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment